We are currently working on APT’s Complete Context Companion for Edexcel’s Paper 3 Examination on the ‘Health & Fitness Industry’. This takes around three months to write and will be published in three weeks’ time ie 15th February.
In the meantime here are a few useful tips / reminders:
As pointed out on p.3 of the Edexcel A Level Specification…
- The first section of Paper 3 (Question 1a, b, c, d) will focus on ‘the broad context provided’ which, in this case, is the health and fitness industry.
- The second section of Paper 3 (Question 2a, b, c, d) will focus on ‘at least one strand within the context provided, such as a particular business’. Hence, Q2 will be based on one of the 5 bulleted points in Edexcel’s research brief relating to the context. Therefore, students should undertake research on each of the 5 bulleted points in order to fully prepare themselves for the examination.
- Each question will contain ‘unseen stimulus material comprising quantitative and qualitative evidence’. Although it is quite possible for students to gain a high mark by making use of the evidence contained in the stimulus material (issued on the day of the examination), the more familiar they are with the context and in undertaking questions relating to the context, the better they will be at applying their knowledge and understanding from Themes 1, 2, 3 and 4 to questions relating to the context on the day of the examination.
- A Level Business (and Economics) examinations now place greater emphasis on quantitative skills: The mark scheme in Edexcel’s Paper 3 sample assessment material (SAM) – shows that 4 + 8 (ie a total of 30%) of the marks available for the two 20 mark questions on this paper (Q1d and Q2d) are for quantitative skills. This equates to 12% of the total marks available (12 out of 100). This could easily be the difference between students getting one grade and another. Opportunities should therefore be taken, whenever they arise, for students to practise their quantitative skills in context. The more they practise their quantitative skills using prior research gathered on the health and fitness industry, the more confident they will be in using the quantitative information presented to them for the first time – in the stimulus material – on the day of the actual examination.
Our Complete Context Companion supports you and your students with all of the above.
APT are experts in producing resources for pre-released contexts, themes and case studies – we have been doing this for 17 years. Our Complete Context Companion for use with Edexcel’s A Level Pre-released 2017 Context can be pre-ordered now. It will include 5 separate resources that can be purchased individually, or together at a discounted price:
- PowerPoint presentations for teachers – to launch the context to students and introduce and / or summarise each aspect.
- Research tasks for students with links to relevant articles – to encourage students to undertake independent research, with links to relevant articles, and points to consider.
- Detailed investigation into the context for teachers – with relevant theory, data and business examples, and analytical and evaluative comment. This includes extracts from articles – so there is no having to click on ‘this link here’ and ‘that link there’ to access relevant research / data.
- Essential revision summaries for students – with relevant theory / concepts, data, business examples, and analytical and evaluative comment.
- Mock exam paper, mark schemes and example model answers – in the same style and format as the sample assessment material produced by Edexcel for the Paper 3 context examination.
Feedback received on APT resources published to date for use with Pre-Released Contexts, Case Studies and Themes:
“Absolutely outstanding. I call this my ‘Bible’. Your resources are in a different league. It’s worth every penny! A fantastic tool that fully supports teaching and learning and student progression in great depth and detail! Greatly appreciated! Your work is amazing!” Laura Pickford, Heworth Grange School
“The materials you provided were excellent and suited every level of teaching. I wish I had ordered earlier in the year.” Gareth Moran, Rye St Antony School
“Your resource is outstanding and becomes the sole resource in my class from February to all the way to the exam day.” Jillur Rahman, Woodbridge High School
“Excellent materials. All the students came out with a smile on their face and commented everything on the analysis came out”. Ruth Daniel, Tower Hamlets College
“It is the most comprehensive pack I think we have ever received.” JL-H
“Pleased with the level of detail, insight and depth. They have become an invaluable part of our preparation.” Andrew Livingstone, Heart of England School
“Fantastic results using your material. My business student went from a predicted Grade E to a B on her paper and was just short of an A.”
Jane Wood, Tutor
“Your resources are proving invaluable and so much more useful than other providers that I buy from.”
Ian Chapman, Queen Anne’s School
Pre-order NOW – Expected publication by 15 Feb 2017
Price: £85 + VAT for email or download (+ £2.50 for CD) for unlimited use at your school or college.
By Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
On line with a debit/credit card or by PayPal (click here)
By phone with a school order number to 01952 540877
By fax with a school order number to 01952 541230