The final sections (PART 4 and PART 5) of our Complete Context Companion for this June’s (2019) Edexcel A Level Business Paper 3 exam on the ‘Market for Holidays in the UK and Abroad’ are NOW PUBLISHED and have already been emailed to all centres that have ordered. It contains over 30 practice exam questions, which are also relevant for Paper 1 and Paper 2. The aim of these resources is to help build students’ confidence in answering questions relating to the context and, in particular, develop their understanding and appreciation of the type of answers required and the skills they need to demonstrate to secure high grades. Although the stimulus material is based on this year’s Paper 3 context, these resources also provide highly useful revision and relevant exam practice for Paper 1 and for Paper 2.
- PART 4: (a and b): WORKSHEETScontaining STIMULUS MATERIAL (relating to 10 different businesses) and a range of EXAM-STYLE QUESTIONS (8, 10, 12 and 20 mark questions), including comprehensive answers to the questions posed. Questions relate to the following specification topics: Theme 1: Market research, segmentation and positioning, Demand (seasonality), Supply (changes in costs, external shocks), PED, IED, Design mix, Branding and promotion (benefits, ways to build), Pricing strategies, Distribution (online), Marketing strategies (appropriate for different types of market – mass and niche; how businesses develop customer loyalty), Approaches to staffing (flexible workforce – part-time and temporary), Training, Motivation in theory and practice, Forms of business (partnership; stock market flotation), Business choices. Theme 2: External finance (Methods – leasing), Liability (implications of unlimited), Business failure, Quality management (for competitive advantage), Economic influences (effect of inflation, interest rates, business cycle), Legislation (effect of employee protection), The competitive environment. Theme 3: Theories of corporate strategy (achieving competitive advantage through distinctive capabilities), Impact of external influences, Growth (objectives of growth; problems arising from growth), Takeovers (reasons for), Business ethics (CSR), Human resources. Theme 4: Global competitiveness (through differentiation), The impact of MNCs (on the local economy), Ethics (stakeholder conflicts, environmental considerations).
- PART 5: (a and b): A FULL PRACTICE (MOCK) EXAM PAPER– written in the same style and format as previous examinations set by Edexcel for the A Level Business Paper 3 exam, with space for students to write down their answers, including mark schemes / detailed answers to the questions posed. Questions relate to the following specification topics: Theme 1: The market (niche markets), Market research (market orientation), Pricing strategies, Business objectives, Business choices. Theme 2: External finance (loans, share capital), Profit, Liquidity, Capacity utilisation, Economic influences (exchange rates – depreciation of the pound), The competitive environment. Theme 3: Impact of external influences, Corporate culture (difficulties in changing), Shareholders versus stakeholders, Interpretation of financial statements (comprehensive income and financial position), Ratio analysis, Key factors in change (organisational culture, managing resistance to change. Theme 4: Growing economies (emerging economies), Reasons for joint ventures, Marketing (adaptation of the marketing mix), Cultural / social factors.
These 2 resources follow the publication of the following 3 resources, which largely focus on providing students with a bank of relevant information they can draw upon in the exam to help write well-contextualised answers and balanced arguments, both of which are crucial to secure high grades.
- PART 1: PowerPoint Presentation (published 17 December), which introduces the requirements of the Edexcel A Level Business Paper 3 exam, including lessons learnt from previous examinations, and key aspects relating to the context that students are advised to research in Edexcel’s Pre-release Material.
- PART 2: APT’s Revision & Research Leads Booklet: (published 24 January) providing links to relevant research that can be accessed freely on the Internet, for students to independently undertake prior research into this year’s context, as well as identifying topics in the Edexcel A Level Specification that are considered particularly relevant to this year’s context.
- PART 3: Information Sheets (65 pages): (published 24 January) on each of the four bullet points students are advised to research in Edexcel’s ‘Pre-release Material’: developing knowledge and understanding of the market for holidays (in the UK and abroad) and of UK-based businesses operating within it, with relevant theory relating to the Edexcel A Level Business Specification incorporated wherever relevant. (Definitions of key terms are signposted throughout using the logo KT and definitions of technical terms, ie terms specific to the holiday market, are signposted throughout using the logo TT).
Customer Feedback on our Companions to date for the Pre-released Paper 3 Context Exam:
“Thank you so much for the amazing resources supporting Edexcel Paper 3 Context – they are a godsend.” H Bridge, March 2018
“Lots of excellent research links and relevant questions– thanks!” Phil Braithwaite, Leyton, May 2018
Thanks so much! What a pity his school did not use this – it is brilliant! Kate, Private Tutor, June 2018
“This year was a fantastic results year using your material. My business student went from a predicted Grade E to a B on her paper and was just short of an A.” Jane Wood, Tutor, 2017
Price: £85 (+ vat). For centres who would like to order the resource and be invoiced (as opposed to ordering and paying for the resource online).