apt4Maths: Set of 11 PowerPoint Presentations (Relating to Number) on Place Value and Approximations for GCSE (and Key Stage 3) Mathematics
From £14.00 ex VAT
If you are a school/college and would like to place an order and be INVOICED later, please email email@example.com.
This set of 11 PowerPoint Presentations, written by a highly experienced teacher (of 25+ years), senior examiner and reviser for Maths and Stats examinations, are designed for use by:
- any teacher – not necessarily a maths specialist – as part of their own delivery of lessons.
- students working independently.
They can be used by:
- cover teachers.
- students who are unable to attend their lesson in person.
Each PowerPoint Presentation includes:
- Lesson objectives
- Step-by-step explanations of the subject matter
- Examples to aid understanding
- Questions to check understanding
- Answers to questions, with explanations
- Suggestions regarding which topic(s) should be moved on to next.
These are one of several sets of PowerPoint Presentations, which essentially relate to the ‘number’ section of the Maths specifications. These other sets of PowerPoints concern:
Information on these (and other) resources for GCSE (and Key Stage 3) Maths will be posted on our website as and when they become available.
This set of 11 PowerPoint Presentations (130 slides, excluding Title Pages) covers the following place value and approximations based topics:
- 01 Place Value – Integers (10 sides): Reviews place value columns and how to read and write whole numbers.
- 02 Place Value – Decimals (10 slides): Reviews place value columns and how to read and write decimal numbers.
- 03 Order and Compare Numbers (10 slides): Explains techniques for putting numbers (integers and decimals) into (ascending and descending) order, and how to use the inequality symbols when comparing two numbers.
- 04 Multiply and Divide by Powers of Ten (16 slides): Explains how to multiply or divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100, 1000, etc.
- 05 Standard (Index) Form (17 slides): Explains why standard (index) form is used, how to read and write values in standard form, and how calculators are used with this format.
- 06 Approximations – Rounding (18 slides): Explains how to approximate by rounding to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, etc.
- 07 Approximations – Decimal Places (8 slides): Explains how to approximate to a fixed number of decimal places.
- 08 Approximations – Significant Figures (8 slides): Explains how to approximate to a fixed number of significant figures.
- 09 Estimating / Checking Answers (11 slides): Explains how to use approximations to estimate or check answers.
- 10 Error Intervals (13 slides): Explains how to find the error intervals of numbers which have been approximated or truncated.
- 11 Error Bounds (9 slides): Explains how to find the minimum and maximum possible values of answers to questions involving approximated or truncated values.
- Work on multiplying and dividing by powers of ten as well as standard form is also included in the ‘Calculations‘ Pack.