apt4Maths: Set of 8 PowerPoint Presentations (Relating to Algebra) on Algebraic Manipulation for GCSE (and Key Stage 3) Mathematics
From £15.50 ex VAT
If you are a school/college and would like to place an order and be INVOICED later, please email email@example.com.
This set of 8 PowerPoint Presentations, written by a highly experienced teacher (of 25+ years), senior examiner and reviser for Maths and Stats examinations, are designed for use by:
- any teacher – not necessarily a maths specialist – as part of their own delivery of lessons.
- students working independently.
They can be used by:
- cover teachers.
- students who are unable to attend their lesson in person.
Each PowerPoint Presentation includes:
- Lesson objectives
- Step-by-step explanations of the subject matter
- Examples to aid understanding
- Questions to check understanding
- Answers to questions, with explanations
- Suggestions regarding which topic(s) should be moved on to next.
These PowerPoint Presentations relate to the ‘Algebra’ sections of the Maths specifications. Other sets relating to Algebra concern:
- Equations & Inequalities
- Types of Number and Sequences
This set of 8 PowerPoint Presentations (135 slides, excluding Title Pages) covers the following topics relating to ‘Algebraic Manipulation’:
- 01 Algebraic Conventions (12 slides): Defines terms used in algebra (expression, equation, terms, co-efficient) and explains algebraic conventions.
- 02 Collecting Like Terms (7 slides): Explains how to simplify expressions by collecting ‘like’ terms together.
- 03 Simplifying (11 slides): Reviews algebraic terminology and algebraic conventions and explains how to simplify expressions that involve multiplication and division.
- 04 Expanding Brackets (21 slides): Reviews BIDMAS and explains how to expand single-bracketed expressions, double-bracketed expressions, and (for higher tier only) triple-bracketed expressions.
- 05 Factorising (28 slides): Explains how to factorise linear and quadratic expressions.
- 06 Substitution (11 slides): Explains how to substitute numbers for letters into algebraic expressions and formulae, and then evaluate.
- 07 Rearranging Formulae (25 slides): Explains how to rearrange formulae (aka how to change the subject of a formula).
- 08 Identities and Proofs (20 slides): Explains the difference between an equation and an identity, and explains how to find counter-examples, and how to set out formal proofs.
- Work on calculating with algebraic fractions is included in APT’s set of PowerPoints on ‘Fractions’.
- Work on functions and composite functions in included in APT’s set of PowerPoints on ‘Graphs’.